PhD in Human-Computer-Interaction (HCI) & NLP
We are looking for a PhD student in the area of Technology-Enhanced Learning, who is interested in researching and developing novel, interactive and intelligent technologies for workplace learning, designing innovative technological concepts and developing software prototypes to implement these ideas. We plan to stimulate reflection on curated learning materials and want to apply machine learning and natural language processing technologies to provide feedback or even to converse with the learners (educational chatbot technology).
The dissertation will be supervised at the Doctoral School of Computer Science of Graz University of Technology by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Stefanie Lindstaedt and Ass.-Prof. Dr. Viktoria Pammer-Schindler.
- Scientific work: Read and think through what a lot of intelligent people have done and written about. Think systematically of what YOU can contribute. Do it, evaluate it, and show and discuss this with the world.
- User-Centered Design: Understand how people work, generate and discard ideas together with others, prototype and evaluate software.
- Software Development: Designing (thinking what software should do, and how), developing and evaluating software
- Project management: You may be required to contribute to project management in research projects.
- Master’s degree in computer science, software development, telematics or similar fields
- Good knowledge of programming languages (Java, Web technologies, Python)
- User-Centered Design, or Requirements Analysis
- Evaluation methods
- Teamwork, independence and excellent communication skills
- Excellent English
We typically require a computer science background; you may qualify for the position if your background is educational sciences or related, if you can show at least basic programming skills, and the willingness to acquire sufficient further knowledge.
- An opportunity to obtain a PhD at Graz Technical University
- Dynamic, creative and multi-cultural team
- Innovative tasks: we perform research and development at the interface between science and industry
- Opportunities for professional and personal development
Under our collective agreement, the minimum gross salary for this full-time (38.5 h/w) position is € 2,750 per month (14 times a year). Higher compensation is possible, depending on your qualifications and experience.
Job posting available as PDF.