Professorship on Data Management
The faculty of Computer Science at Graz University of Technology is seeking applications for a professorship on Data Management.
Appointment of Professorship – Booklet
In addition to the online job description described here you will find further information about the research environment, the application domains and the endowing companies in this information brochure (PDF).
The successful candidate will be member of the Institute for Interactive Systems and Data Science (www.tugraz.at/institute/isds). The Institute for Interactive Systems and Data Science is engaged in research in the fields of Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics. The position is a §98 UG professorship with a duration of 5 years. After a successful evaluation, an unlimited contract is foreseen.
This call for applications is issued in the context of a professorship (www.ffg.at/stiftungsprofessuren) endowed by the Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT), the Know-Center and four international corporations (AVL List, Infineon Technologies, Magna Steyr, Voestalpine). Close collaboration with the Know-Center (Austria’s Research Center for Data-driven Business and Big Data Analytics, www.know-center.at) is expected.
We are seeking candidates with demonstrated scientific excellence to represent the area of (Big) Data Management in both research and teaching and who will complement our existing team. A strong interest in applied research is advantageous.
The chosen application domain for this professorship is Industry 4.0 / Smart Products and Production. Ideally, the candidate will bring in relevant experiences and interest in real-time data processing.
Relevant research topics include but are not limited to:
- Database Technologies (e.g., high-performance storage, indexing, versioning, provenance)
- Real-time Stream Processing (e.g., real-time aggregation, entity and event detection, handling of skewed distributions, stream mining)
- Database Architectures for Big Data Analytics (e.g., distributed, scalable techniques and architectures, in-memory databases, many-core parallelism)
A specific goal of this professorship is to establish a (Big) Data Management & Database teaching module within the three core Computer Science Master study programs (Information & Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Development & Management). We expect active participation in teaching at the Bachelor, Master, and PhD level and a willingness to participate in matters of academic administration. Moreover, relevant experience in obtaining funding and managing national and international research projects is required.
Graz University of Technology offers a unique research environment to address the aforementioned research challenges. On the one hand, co-operation with the Know-Center provides access to relevant global acting companies and to existing Big Data infrastructure and services. On the other hand, Graz University of Technology is home to the Smart Production Graz initiative, which addresses relevant research questions in an industrial context and already comprises an endowed professorship, a SMART Factory, a LeanLab, and a FabLab. Additionally TU Graz is funding an internal lead project on Dependable Internet of Things which also offers interesting collaboration possibilities.
- University education with a completed doctoral degree in a relevant research field.
- Habilitation (venia docendi) or an equivalent qualification in a relevant research field.
- Excellent scientific achievements, documented by internationally recognized publications.
- Excellent didactic skills.
- Readiness to actively collaborate with the Know-Center.
- Proven ability to develop and lead a research group.
- Successful acquisition and management of research grants.
- Integration in the international research community.
- In addition, the rules of the endowing organization BMVIT apply: At the time of application for professorship, the candidate must not have had an active employment contract with any Austrian University for the past 3 years. During the grant period, the candidate must have at least an 80% employment contract with Graz University of Technology. (ffg.at/sites/default/files/downloads/call/il_stiftungsprofessur-2015.pdf)
In order to represent the subject internationally and to teach, excellent knowledge of English is required in both speech and writing. If the candidate does not already know German at the time of employment, the willingness to learn the German language is required.
The transfer of residence to the area of Graz is required.
Graz University of Technology is committed to increasing the percentage of female employees, especially in executive positions and as research staff. We therefore explicitly encourage qualified women to apply. Given applicants with equal qualifications, priority will be given to women.
- using the Graz University of Technology application form
- including the usual documents
(diplomas, resume, overview of past research and teaching activities, evaluations of teaching activities if available)
- research statement describing planned research activities
- teaching statement describing planned teaching activities
- 5 most important publications
- 2 references
in English and in electronic form by email at the latest by:
August 21st, 2017 (date of email)
to the Dean of Computer Science, Prof. Frank Kappe, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For application documents >4MB please use the BigMail service of TU Graz: bigmail.tugraz.at/en/
- Select version 2 of BigMail
- Request a TAN number
- Upload your documents (best as a ZIP folder) and submit to email@example.com
More details about the Professorship, the requirements of the candidates and the official application form you can find at the website www.tugraz.at/institute/isds. For questions please contact Prof. Stefanie Lindstaedt, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hearings for this professorship will most probably be held in the week of November 27 to December 1, 2017. Please ensure your availability during this time. The start of the employment is planned for Summer Semester 2018.
For more information please download the Booklet (PDF).